Monday, November 1, 2010

Zambia Recap Part 8

Did anyone see where October went?

I guess I missed it somehow...

Either way I'm hoping my fingers can keep up with my brain because I've been reinvigorated/reenergized by what our great God has been doing in Amanda and I!!  I've got really exciting news about Zambia, but you're just going to have to wait until I wrap up the stories from camp.

I'm not going to lie, part of the delay in this stage has been trying to wrap my brain around how to share adequately with you the feelings and encounters we had over there.  While we were "fully there" with our attention, there is still a slight haze that surrounds our memories, kind of like the dizziness you encounter after a long run (which for me is about one flight of stairs).

We stepped off the counselor shuttle bus early on the Monday morning and there was literally a haze over everything.  As our eyes adjusted we noticed the Zambian leaders praying and worshipping, oblivious of our presence.  We joined in the worship as best we could, still reeling from the excitement/nerves of the task we would soon be engaged in.  I quickly found Heavy, my apostle, and hung close to him.  He told me Patrick was getting some of the kids because he was the Discipleship Leader for the slum my kids were from.  While we waited I enjoyed an hour or so of conversation with Heavy as I tryed to anticipate what I would soon be faced with.  We discussed the age at which our guys would be engaging in sexual relationships.  We discussed what school was like for them, and if they were likely attending on a regular basis.  We discussed what families are like in Zambia.  The conversation continuously pointed me back to a common denominator: this is the devil's playground.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
John 10:10

It was obvious that Satan had been oppressing these people for lifetimes before I met them.  There was an almost noticeable feeling of discord.  There was no peace.  I knew that my job as an ambassador of Christ would be to show these children a savior who loved them enough to die in their place.  What a weighty task.

I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13

How can I help them understand?  Will they get it?  What analogies will translate?  Will they like me?  Will they feel safe with me?  Will I be able to... Stopped mid-thought, my kids' bus pulled up and spilled.