Monday, July 12, 2010

Zambia Recap Part 1

Muli bwangi!

We are back, rested, and still processing our two weeks in Zambia. First and foremost, thank you to all who prayed for us during our trip. Your prayers were felt and appreciated!

Over the next couple of weeks we will be posting stories and pictures from Zambia. It all starts with getting there…

We left Dallas June 12th around 5:30 pm. My sister Lindsay and her 6 month old Tanner graciously brought us to the airport in her husband’s truck, which had a bed FULL of luggage totaling 9 bags. The flight was on-time; no problems with customs or baggage. Our bags were all under 48 pounds, so no extra fees. Thank God! While in the airport at Terminal D the US was playing England in the first game of the group stages for the world cup. At this point I thought “oh cool, I’m glad I got to see this before I got to Africa”. Little did I realize how much soccer fanaticism I would see over the next couple of weeks!


But that’s a tangent, I’ll get back to our trip. We flew British Airways, which let me tell you is just lovely (to borrow a commonly heard phrase). Good food, all the drinks we wanted/needed, and they upgraded my seat to middle class so I would have more leg room. I love the Brits!

We settled in without a care, and 10 ours later we landed at Heathrow in London. It was 8:30 am London time, but 3:30 am Dallas time. We had a 10 hour layover, so we ran into town to see it as quickly as possible.


We got freshened up in the airport, and caught the Underground into London. It took about an hour, but we made it to the Notting Hill Gate station just in time to meet our bike tour group. Our tour lasted 4 hours and went through the Royal Park system.

We saw Kensington Palace, Albert Memorial, the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, and many more sights.

There were about 20 people in our group, and we got to know a great couple from Florida named Ray and Shawna.

After the tour we grabbed coffee at Starbucks (the last one we saw until we returned to London) and headed back to Heathrow for our 7:30 pm flight.